Geçmişte olmuş iki eylem var ve bunlardan önce olanın sürekliliği past perfect continuous tense ile vurgulanır.
1. Our game of tennis was interrupted. we’d been playing for about half an hour when it started to rain very havily.
2. Ken give up smoking two years ago. He’d been smoking for 30 years.
Past perfect continuous: geçmişte bir eylemden önce başka bir eylemin süreklilik içerisinde oldu ğunu vurgular.
1. The police had been looking for the criminal for two years before they caught him
2. The patient had been waiting in the emergency room for almost an hour before a doctor finally treated her
3. He finally came at six o’clock I had been waiting for him since four – thirty.
Bu tens ayrıca geçmişteki bir eyleme yakın zamanlı fakat ondan daha önce olan bağlantısız bir eylemin sürekliliğini vurgulamak için de kulanılır.
4. When judy got home, her hair was still wet because she had been swimming
5. Her eyes were red because she had been crying